IMPORTANT INFORMATION PER COVID-19: Our office is closed until further notice. Call (415) 920-3820 and leave your message at x100 and someone will respond within two business days. Or start your mediation online by completing this form: Start a Mediation.
Our Neighborhood Mediation Program is a proven and valuable way to avoid the costs of courts, police involvement, and the stresses of a new or ongoing conflict with someone. Community Boards is very proud that it is recognized as the first, longest running community mediation program in the U.S. We have been aiding all San Franciscans citywide since 1976.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Community Boards cares for all our clients and trainees, regardless of immigration status. We will continue to do everything possible to ensure that every client and trainee feel safe and welcome in our organization. Our core value is to deliver safe, quality and equitable mediation and training services, without regard to a person’s ethnicity or citizenship. We can only do so if all of the people we serve are able to seek our services without fear. We do not collect information about immigration status or report undocumented individuals.
Telephone & Walk-in Hours
Monday-Thursday | 10:00am – 5:00pm
(415) 920-3820 | Messages after hours: (415) 920-3820 x100
What Is Mediation?
Mediation is a confidential and voluntary meeting where people discuss difficulties they are having with each other assisted by impartial third-parties, Community Boards’ Community Mediators.
Our highly trained Community Mediators help people come up with workable and lasting solutions. They do not give advice or make judgments. The goal is to help everyone feel heard, understood, and respected.
How Our Process Works
- You contact us for an initial consultation. We will assess your situation and how best to help.
- If mediation is appropriate, you give us the contact information of those involved and pay the $45-$100 sliding scale case opening fee – no one is ever turned away for lack of funds.
- We then invite the other person(s) to a mediation and address their questions and concerns.
- When all parties agree, we schedule a convenient time for the mediation with three of our skilled volunteer Community Mediators.
- During the mediation, everyone is given time to speak in a safe and supportive environment.
- If new understandings and agreements are reached, the mediators will help you put them in writing.
- We ask you to make a generous donation so we can continue to help others.
The types of neighborhood issues we can help you with:
- Landlord & tenant disputes
- Roommate disagreements
- Family and domestic conflicts
- Neighbor issues
- Communication breakdowns
- Noise disturbance
- Pet problems
- Parking issues
- Property repairs
- Tree & vegetation care
- Vandalism or graffiti
- Many other issues as well
- Back to top
You can telephone our office Mondays through Thursdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm at (415) 920-3820. You can leave a call back message at extension 100. Please just leave your name and telephone number. You can also email us at Learn_More@communityboards.org.
You can also complete and submit our online request form.
Mediations are scheduled Monday through Friday, from 9am – 6pm and on Saturdays and Sundays, from 9 am – 2 pm.
Cost: Case Opening Fee
The case opening fee is $45-$100 sliding scale – no one is ever turned away for lack of funds. There is no charge for the mediation itself. We are grateful for all donations.
Here’s a one-page description of how our Neighborhood Mediation Program works: Neighborhood Mediation Program